Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Felisters


Hello to all. Been a while since I have written down my thoughts, but wanted to take a minute and blog about someone that has been on my heart:) As you know, I am headed to Zambia this summer to minister to orphans in Lusaka. It is an amazing trip and will be life changing for sure, but I have something else to look forward to. My friend Allison took this journey last summer and has a whole lot to do with why I am going in June. Allison, Kelli and I were all hanging out one night after church talking about things we would like to do. Allison started talking about Zambia, showed us her pictures and video, and we were brought to tears. I knew at that moment that I wanted to be a part of what God was doing with these orphans. At that time, she asked if I wanted to sponsor one of her kiddos from camp last summer. I would pay $36/month so that the orphan could go to school and then also be fed daily:) So, I signed up and have been supporting a sweet little girl named Felisters for the last 6 months. She has a story much like those around her. She is 9 years old and has no idea of her birthday. She lives in one of the villages there with her grandmother and 2 older sisters. Her mom lives in another village with her older brothers and works there. Felister's grandmother does not work and her dad is deceased of TB when she was 7 years old. The rough part is that her older sister beats her and her grandmother cannot control it. They live in poverty. Last year before Camp Life, Felisters was kicked out of school because she owed $6. $6!!!! She was devastated. She got to got to Camp, but the requirement is the child has to be in school to come to camp, so she was worried about this summer. That's where I came in:) Now, I pay her way to school and ensure she get to eat....and what does that mean you ask? She will be at Camp Life again this summer and I GET TO MEET HER!!!!!! I am just beside myself! I have written her a letter telling her about me and sent her pictures of me and my family and then one of me and Shelley and Kelli since they will be at camp too:) I pray for her and cannot wait to spend some time with her! I just had to share. I attached a picture of her last summer with Allison and her Zambian partner at Camp. She accepted Jesus as her Saviour on the second day of camp last year. I pray that the Lord will be her Shepherd and reveal himself to her over and over! All this to say, Meet my sweet friend Felisters! Isn't she beautiful!

2 comments:

tessa said...

Aww, Sabs, you are such an inspiration! I am so, so proud and honored to know someone who is so driven by passion and compassion, by good will and generosity. You are an amazing light on this earth and I know you will illuminate even the darkest corners every moment of your life.

thank you for being such a powerful force.

-love & blessings-
tess

The Ralston Family said...

Sabrina,

That is awesome, I absolutely loved Camp Life when I went and hope someday to go back again. Those children are ALL precious gifts from the Lord and their joy is so pure. I cannot wait to see your pics of the trip